10 Tips to Maximize Your Folklorama Experience
Whether you’re a seasoned Folklorama fan or it’s your first time, we want you to get the most out of your experience. We are sharing 10 tips to help plan your return to the quintessential Manitoba summer festival!
1. Get your tickets in advance. To guarantee entry into your Pavilion of choice, secure your tickets online up to one hour before showtime. Remember: Children 12 and under are free when accompanied by an adult (limit to 5 children per paid adult). Even though it is a free ticket, it must be booked in advance.
2. Interact with Ambassadors’ General and Pavilion Ambassadors. When you visit a Pavilion, you’ll be welcomed by friendly ambassadors who represent their community. Take advantage of your time with them and be sure to ask questions to learn more about their cultural attire, favourite foods on the menu, and any other tidbits about their culture you’ve been dying to know. Along your travels, you may also run into the faces of Folklorama – our four Ambassadors’ General! Say hello and snap a photo with them!
3. Pavilion hop with the Vickar Automotive Group Multi-Pack. A great way to enjoy these summer nights and see as many show-stopping performances as possible is to travel to as many Pavilions as you can. Our Vickar Automotive Group Multi-Packs are a perfect way to see multiple Pavilions at a discounted rate. From the German Pavilion to the Egyptian Pavilion, you’ll find yourself fully immersed in another culture every time you walk through the doors.
4. Travel Folklorama like a VIP. There are many ways to navigate Folklorama. A fan-favourite is the guided tours that allow you to bypass lineups, enjoy reserved seating and table service with a progressive meal, and more! Join our pre-planned VIP Tours and hop on your bike with a group of other cycle enthusiasts and pedal from the Metis Pavilion to the Belgian Pavilion. Bring your friends along on a walking tour from Pavillon canadien-francias to Africa Pavilion. Or create a fully customized tour for a bachelorette or anniversary party.
5. Expand your culinary horizons. Calling all foodies! Folklorama is an opportunity to take yourself on a food and drink crawl that lasts 14 days. From mouthwatering homemade dishes to imported beverages and ingredients, our Pavilions are known for satisfying worldly tastebuds. Don’t miss out on the delicious Mola Bamiya, a signature dish at the South Sudanese Pavilion, and then cap the evening off with Baltic Brothers infused Vodka at the Polish Pavilion. Spend a night going from meat pie and a pint of Guinness delivered straight from the heart of Dublin at Celtic Ireland Pavilion to Oca torte, a decadent sponge cake, to satisfy your sweet tooth at Sloveinja Pavilion. Find out what Pavilions offer dinner reservations.
6. Explore the world-class cultural displays. Take time before or after the show to view each Pavilion’s cultural display. Delve into collections of artifacts that will transport you to the heart of Ethiopia at the Ethiopian Pavilion. Experience an authentic Japanese tea ceremony demonstration at the Japanese Pavilion and visit Ukraine-Kyiv Pavilion’s cultural exhibit titled “Слава Україні! Glory to Ukraine!”. Be sure to talk to and thank the volunteers who are encyclopedias of cultural knowledge and work tirelessly to put the displays together!
7. Visit Pavilions with interactive activities. Entertain your tastebuds through new experiences paired with fun activities for families! Try your hand at making Kolam, a traditional art form at the Tamil Pavilion. Don’t miss out on the children’s activities at the Romanian Pavilion and Spirit of Ukraine Pavilion. Find out which Pavilions offer children’s activities.
8. Find Pavilions that meet your needs. We want to ensure everyone has a happy 2 weeks, so the accommodations of our Folklorama guests are important. From designated accessible parking spaces and accessible washrooms at the Punjab Pavilion to air conditioning at the Hungary-Pannonia Pavilion, and gluten-free and vegetarian options at the Israel Pavilion – Shalom Square. Refer to the Travel Guide for all your needs.
9. Make the most of summer with outdoor fun. Sip on ice-cold beer while listening to live music in the beer tent at Casa do Minho Portuguese Pavilion and enjoy a car show on Saturday evening at the Italian Pavilion. Find out what Pavilions have outdoor components.
10. Find treasures from around the world. Shop Pavilion marketplaces and support local businesses – all the money made in a Pavilion stays in a Pavilion! Stop in at the beloved Danish candy shop at the Scandinavian Pavilion, pick up stunning Celtic jewelry at the Irish Pavilion, and browse the diverse collection of Scottish goods and wares at Hint of Heather located in the Pavilion of Scotland.
Read Frequently Asked Questions for more information to know before you go!